Strict Standards: Non-static method XoopsLogger::getInstance() should not be called statically in /homepages/45/d179174902/htdocs/centralu/class/logger/xoopslogger.php on line 358

Strict Standards: Non-static method XoopsLogger::getInstance() should not be called statically in /homepages/45/d179174902/htdocs/centralu/class/logger/xoopslogger.php on line 358

CUNT Student Body Information & Community - I am not married [Community Forums - General Chat]

Section Menu

Recent Posts

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

(1) 2 »

I am not married
Member of the Faculty
While I do seriously appreciate the love and kind words Liz gave me in the story, and I am so happy that I was able to inspire such an amazing feat as this Summer Music Project, I am deeply annoyed by the reporter who couldn't even get their facts straight about me. I am not a Mrs. I am not married. I have never been married. Not sure I ever will be married. But I most certainly am not now, so I am not a Mrs. I would accept Ms. or Miss or even just Christine, but not Mrs. Seriously.

Ever since I got here and started teaching, I have been listed almost everywhere as Mrs. Leigh, even though I clearly state that I am unmarried and always have been. I have had to have this fight over and over again everywhere through the bureaucracy, and just finally got all the official records fixed, when this happens in the school paper? Seriously? Whoever is in charge over there needs to make sure they are keeping up with their fact checking. Because this is ridiculous.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 14:20

Re: I am not married
Freshman Chatter
From Sentinel Building, Office #57
As the Sentinel's faculty adviser, I feel I owe you a personal apology, Ms. Leigh. I and the other professors of journalism hold our student reporters to a much higher standard than this!

When I saw "Muic" in the headline my expectations for today's edition of the Sentinel were, well, let's say greatly reduced. I should have known that would be only the beginning.

I invite you to drop by during my office hours so that I can discuss this with you further or, if you'd rather, we can schedule an appointment so that the student who wrote the story can be here as well. Given what you've disclosed about your personal life, I presume you have the free time.

As educators I think we both should take advantage of the opportunity to make this a true learning experience for the students and ourselves, don't you, Ms. Leigh?

Posted on: 2016/7/25 19:06

"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Freshman Chatter
From Harlow Dorms, Room I-202
I am not taking the blame for the headline. You know we don't get to write our own headlines, only suggest them. The editor or her assistant does the final headline writing. That typo was on them. And you know how she is. Probably just pawned it off her assistant at the last minute as usual. No surprise he messed up.

As for the article, I did what I was supposed to do. I made sure all my facts were correct. I looked through records and files and saw the name printed there over and over. It's not on us that all the school records we had access to were all wrong.

I'm sorry if we offended you Ms Leigh, there was no intent of that, but it's not because we didn't do our jobs. You can still blame this one on the school records being slow to update through the system. I bet the network is still screwed up due to whatever that hacker did last year.

Oh, Professor Dillenberg, I did have them update and fix the headline on the digital version. Nothing we can do about the print edition, but the digital one is corrected now.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 0:53

Freshman Chatter
Now Melanie, if you made sure all your facts were correct then we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we? As someone who's attended several of my courses, you know full well that journalistic truth is a process that begins with the professional discipline of assembling and verifying facts.

Indeed, the firm, unyielding disciplines of multiple sources and verification are what separates us from rumormongers and libelists like that anonymous hacker to whom you're referring! I look forward to the day that you or one of your fellow students learns her true identity and reveals it on the front page of the Sentinel for all to see.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 10:09

Edited by Prof.Dillenberg on 2016/7/26 12:32:02

Member of the Faculty
Thank you Ms. Dillenberg for the apology and for taking the lead on fixing these issues within your department. I would be happy to find the time to meet with you, and if you feel it's necessary, your student reporter. I am free most of the next few weeks, since I do not have any classes over the summer, so just let me know when works for you and I am sure I can make it work too. As is well known, my office door is always open to both my students and my colleagues.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 11:45

Freshman Chatter
From Harlow Dorms, Room I-202
I don't know why I am getting drug into this Professor Dillenberg. I did do as you taught us. I had my sources and information all pinned down. I can't be held responsible if the information from the authorities in this case were all faulty.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 14:06

Freshman Chatter
Evidently Melanie does not feel it's necessary, so rather than arrange a meeting for the three of us in my office I'll take advantage of your open door policy, Ms. Leigh. Perhaps some time later this afternoon?

While I'm there I hope you'll share with me the teaching methods you employed to inspire your students. One of mine seems to be developing a poor attitude that I intend to correct!

Posted on: 2016/7/27 5:02

Member of the Faculty
Since I don't have classes during the summer, I am not actually in my office much these days, but I would still be more than happy to meet with you this afternoon. I could go open my office if you'd prefer that setting, but we could meet down at the Lamplighter Pub to talk in a more casual location if you'd rather.

I don't know how much help I'd be with your students, but I'd be happy to share my experiences with my classes. After the events of last year I think I've done pretty good, but I can't say it would work for everyone, although I do know a few who have done similar with good effect.

Posted on: 2016/7/27 15:55

Freshman Chatter
Thanks again for having suggested we meet at the Lamplighter Pub, Ms. Leigh... sorry. Christine. It was a far more relaxing venue than either your office or mine would have been, despite the well-worn couch that takes up valuable space in my own cramped quarters here in the journalism department.

Strangely, I can't stop thinking about the prize that you used to motivated your class and the vote to which it was put. Maybe the political coverage in the stack of newspapers on my desk is to blame, given the constant references to voters who also face a powerful dilemma.

Both yesterday and this morning I've had to put these papers aside while I imagined what that semester must have been like for your students. In fact, I believe I'll have another lie down on the couch while I think about your unique teaching methods.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 3:54

Member of the Faculty
I'm glad we met too. And yes, the Lamplighter is a great place to relax and put down a few away from campus. But close enough that they are still comfortable with the way things are done around here. As you clearly saw. I hope my impromptu demonstration of my teaching technique didn't throw you off too much. I find I'm just often more comfortable that way these days.

It's funny that you mention having a couch in your office you take a lie down on sometimes. I do the same thing in mine. Sometimes I even spend the night in there if I've been working too late. But mine is actually a hide-a-bed, so that's not quite the same. I do have to push my desk over to extend it, though. But it's worth it to have the extra room sometimes. I'm sure you can understand that.

I hope you think of something you can use to help with your students, even if my technique isn't exactly it. And if you want to bounce any ideas of things off me, I'd be more than happy to listen. Might even find something I would want to try out too.

And please don't talk about voting and elections right now. Things are getting really scary out there. I don't really like either of our choices, but we really can't let that crazy man win.

Posted on: 2016/7/30 1:32

Junior Chatter
From Oak Hall
Oh, Professor Dillenberg, are you considering trying out her technique? I would love to see that. You know I would. I'm sure if you did that while walking around the department a lot of us would be more than happy to pay better attention to everything you did and said.

Posted on: 2016/7/30 11:25

Freshman Chatter
Christine, believe me, your demonstration was all I could think about once I got back to my own office, and that reminds me...

All right, Jessie, since the newsroom has been a veritable sauna during the entire Summer session anyway, let's try something new.

Starting tomorrow morning I will wear nothing more than my glasses and a pair of shoes until the holiday break or the next time the Sentinel is forced to run a retraction of any kind, whichever comes first.

Just one misquote or factual error, and I'll get dressed. Then we go back to our normal routine, with one exception: the student reporter who makes the mistake must then surrender his or her own clothing for the remainder of the school year.

That seems like a fair deal to me.

As you can imagine, Christine, this will be a brand new experience for me and for my students, and I may need your help to muddle through it.

I can assure you, if I drop by your office for advice the furthest thing from my mind will politics!

Posted on: 2016/7/31 18:46

Edited by Prof.Dillenberg on 2016/7/31 19:55:06
Edited by Prof.Dillenberg on 2016/7/31 20:00:41
Edited by Prof.Dillenberg on 2016/7/31 20:08:27

Member of the Faculty
Oh, that's great. Your students should really be happy to keep things on the level now. But expecting perfection might be a little much. I expected them all to do well, but not all get perfect grades on the tests. Mistakes can happen, even to the best of us. But I still think this is a great thing you're doing.

And you are more than welcome to stop by my office, or anywhere I am, and bounce anything you want off me. I may just have to stop by your department to see how things are progressing there too. Plus, after you talking about it so much the other day, I am curious to see your office and how cramped and cluttered it really is.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 20:49

Junior Chatter
From Oak Hall
Well, for whoever long it lasts I will be happy to look on and enjoy. Not sure it will speed things up at all in the department, but we will certainly be paying closer attention to everything you do.

And I really hope it lasts and we find out what the prize is at the end.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 21:58

Freshman Chatter
From Harlow Dorms, Room H-312
Whoah, maybe I should start coming to my journalism classes more often next semester.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 22:23

Freshman Chatter
What a day this was. Just ask Jessie, who seemed more attentive today than she's been in a year.

I don't know how you did it, Christine. Like you, I pulled my shirt open when I made the announcement, and it's a miracle the department didn't lose a Mac when one of the students immediately spilled his coffee.

Still, the realization that there was no turning back didn't hit me until my miniskirt hit the newsroom floor. On hindsight, I should have expected that the Photojournalism students would have cameras with them...

Regardless, I don't expect to endure this for very long. You may think I expect perfection, but it's quite the opposite! I fully expect that an undisciplined student reporter is going to submit the same kind of sloppy journalism that started this conversation in the first place, and nothing would make me happier.

In the meantime, yes, please do come visit me up here! It won't be hard to find my office, given that people have been clustering around my doorway all day. Just look for the small crowd.

Oh! As for you, Henry, even though I stapled a drop slip to your midterm exam in the Spring, I might forgive your spotty attendance if you do something for me in return. That is, presuming Ms. Leigh has no objection to us using her hide-a-bed?

Posted on: 2016/8/1 17:32

Member of the Faculty
It sounds like you had an exciting first day. And you did it the same way I did. It wasn't easy at first, but I knew I had to follow through with it. Then it just became second nature after a little while. You'll get there too. And get used to the photos being taken. That will happen a lot. I finally just had to give them a set-aside photo time at the end of class, where I would pose for them, if they kept their phones and cameras put away the rest of the class.

I still think you are pushing too hard for perfection. I know you probably want this to end right now, but give it a couple weeks and you will stop thinking like that. You will want to see it keep going, especially if it's brining the best out of your kids. Like it did mine. So loosen up those requirements just a little bit or else you will just see it all crash down too fast when one person freaks out from the pressure and cracks. It should be about fun and encouraging improvement, not some pressure cooker of perfection.

And I will stop by sometime this week to check things out. Both your office, and to see you. You know, how you are handling thing and holding up and everything. Not just to look at you because you are naked. I didn't mean just that. And I would be more than happy to help you out if you needed to use my hide-a-bed, just let me know when and I can be there to let you in and whatever.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 18:45

Junior Chatter
From Oak Hall
You really should come check it out Ms. Leigh. It's a pretty nice thing to see. I certainly don't want to mess anything up and put an end to this... although, if I did I would just take the punishment.

Not the first time I've had to get naked for a class, or at least ended up that way anyway.
It's actually kinda fun.

Anyway, I just hope nobody else messes this up. I want to see what happens at the end of next semester if we keep this up.

Posted on: 2016/8/2 22:20

Potential Student
From Summerfield, NH
I LOVE that you all have such an involved student newspaper, especially one so focused on accuracy and listening to their readers!

Professor Dillenberg it was inspiring that thing you said about only focusing on the Glasses and Shoes, it’s true! A journalist has to keep their eyes open and keep their two feet on the ground, in order to find the story and be an objective observer and recorder!

I'm not a student yet, but I'm going to be starting as a freshman at Central U soon!! After I got my acceptance letter I just searched for “Journalism” and found this thread. I can’t wait to be in your class! I am so excited to start school!

I admit I’m feeling a bit scatterbrained right now. My energy is so high I can hardly focus on one thing. I’ve barely read the rest of the site, and I haven’t even read orientation yet. But there'll be plenty of time to read all that on the car-ride up or when I arrive on campus, right?

I have to go right now, I have to get all my stuff together, there’s so much to get ready for, and SO much to pack!

Posted on: 2016/8/3 19:25

Freshman Chatter
Ummm yeah, I think I might totally be able to get behind that. Just let me know what do you need me to do and where I need to go, and we'll see. And is there anything you'd need me to bring?

Posted on: 2016/8/3 20:01

Freshman Chatter
Thank you, Carrie! Please drop by the journalism department and I or one of my colleagues be happy to discuss your future with you. Well, actually today might not be good as I've making other plans.

Henry, I don't know if you've got your Licensed Massage Practitioner certification yet, and at this point I don't care. Meet me in Ms. Leigh's office this afternoon and I'll give you the opportunity to hone your skill. Bring whatever it is you normally use, minus the portable table as we obviously won't be needing that.

I have no intention of loosening up my requirements for excellence, but I do intend on loosening up my muscles. The tension I've been experiencing this week is indescribable!

I hope I'm not presuming too much by making use of your hide-a-bed this way, Christine, but I invite you to join me in taking advantage of Henry and his training.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 5:18

Member of the Faculty
Not to worry. I have a number of things and paperwork I should be getting done over the summer, so this gives me an excuse to come into the office. I'll work on that stuff until you guys arrive and then would be happy to get a free massage or whatever in exchange for letting you use my office. I'll be there most of the morning (once I bother to get myself over there) and all afternoon, so whenever you want to show up is fine by me. I look forward to it.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 7:29

Junior Chatter
From Oak Hall
Dangit... I wish I could have been invited too. That sounds really nice and a lot of fun. I love massages and stuff.

I just assume the professor has already gone though. Haven't seen her around for a while, not even hiding in her office as she was doing a lot of yesterday.

Hey, Henry, what kind of stuff do you trade for them? I might want to get one too at some point.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 19:53

Freshman Chatter
First off, Jessie, I trade all sorts of stuff. I'm sure we can work out some kind of deal. You seem like the kind that is easy to work with and can make some mutually beneficial arrangement. Just email me and we'll talk.

And Professor D, I'm sorry if you were a little flustered when you arrived. I didn't mean for you come in and see Miss L and I like that when you got there. I just happened to show up early and she asked if I wouldn't mind starting with her since I was already there. So I did and things, well, got far enough long to where we were almost finished when you got there.

I hope that didn't hurt my chances to get into your class. I mean I still was able to take care of yours and all. And I am more than willing to arrange another if that would help. I mean, from what I've seen now, I would really love to get into your class next semester now.

Same goes for you Miss L. If you'd like another I am sure we can work something out again.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 18:36

Freshman Chatter
Hiding in my office? Jessie, I closed my door so that I could get some badly-needed paperwork of my own done. All week long I was interrupted by students and faculty who seemingly can't make a single decision without consulting me first.

While I'm flattered by this sudden confidence in me, the timing couldn't be any worse given that it started on Monday, after I agreed to this deal. For example, those School of Journalism brochures we ordered for prospective students like Carrie had been sitting in a cardboard box beside my couch for well over a year, yet only during this last week were people been coming to my office from all across campus and asking for one.

Where were all these future journalists hiding before, I ask you?

Time and time again I had to stop whatever I was doing, get up from behind my desk, bend over the couch and retrieve a brochure. It finally got to be such a nuisance I took the whole box up the front desk, and by then my back was killing me. I enjoy keeping fit -- just ask Mandy over at the Albert Phinney Gym -- but honestly, that was a workout I didn't need.

At least thanks to your classmate Henry my back-ache was remedied. I've never experienced a massage like that before! Admittedly I was startled to find him already hard at work on Christine, but just looking at her I could see that Mandy was right to recommend his services.

I don't mean to tease, Christine, but the look on your face was priceless and I wish I had a picture!

I was a little concerned that your hide-a-bed wouldn't support all of us, but evidently you were right that it can easily handle three people no matter how intense the massage technique.

Henry, rest assured you will get into my class even if I have to bend over backwards or get down on my knees to make it happen, given how many of those prospective students who came by my office claim they'll be signing up for it.

Posted on: 2016/8/6 6:50

Edited by Prof.Dillenberg on 2016/8/6 8:46:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

The CUNT site is © 2008-2014 by Dragavan - For The Real Story Behind this place: Click Here