Strict Standards: Non-static method XoopsLogger::getInstance() should not be called statically in /homepages/45/d179174902/htdocs/centralu/class/logger/xoopslogger.php on line 358

Strict Standards: Non-static method XoopsLogger::getInstance() should not be called statically in /homepages/45/d179174902/htdocs/centralu/class/logger/xoopslogger.php on line 358
CUNT Student Body Information & Community - College Prep Assistance [Community Forums - Employment: Work-Study Positions]

Section Menu

Recent Posts

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

College Prep Assistance
Member of the Faculty
From Albert Hall, Dean's Offices
College Prep Class Assistants Wanted

Adams High School

Central University of New Town offers special College Prep Classes for Seniors at both the local New Town high schools, with a specific focus on transferring to Central U. The majority of these students come from Adams High School (since it is the oldest and largest public school in town), although a growing number each year come from North New Town High.

North New Town High

These specialized College Prep Classes are open to all Seniors with at least a good passing GPA, with the slots first going to those applying to and planning on going to Central U. The program has reached out to other schools in the county, but none have yet to sign on, so for the time being it's only these two involved.

These classes are mainly about preparing students for the rigors of college level classes and what is going to be expected of them in them. They only cover the basics, including some sciences, maths, and social arts, as far as the educational classes are considered. These classes are all handled by Central University professors and their assistants, but there is also one other specialized class that needs more help than the existing staff can cover.

This introductory class for students planning on attending Central U is held in the Dave Brooks Theatre and starts two weeks before the rest of the program begins. These first classes are for four hours each and cover everything the students need to know to survive on campus through the rest of the program, and when coming to the university the following year. After the program starts, the class is held first thing in the morning for an hour as their "homeroom" class, before sending them onto campus to take their other College Prep Classes.

Dave Brooks Theatre on Broadway

What we are looking for are a number of students who are well versed in the ways of the codes and want to help pass on their knowledge to the next generation. Unlike most classes, where an instructor will only need one or two assistants at most, this program requires many more than that and asks them to be far more involved in the activities of the class itself (with almost no after class grading or work to be done). The majority of this involves reenactments, demonstrations, and direct assistance with the students.

You need not worry about dressing appropriately for the classes and what they are covering each day, as all required costumes and examples will be supplied for you by the theatre department. All aspects of the codes will be covered in these classes. As such, all potential rules being broken during these classes as demonstrations will not count as violations of the codes and you will not suffer any punishments for them.

Join The Team Today

If you think you have what it takes to help teach this next generation of Central U students (and have been a student yourself for at least a year), fill out the application in my office (Room 212 of Alpert Hall) and hand it in to my secretary. We need a lot of help with this, so there are many openings. As with most of these programs, applicants will be gone through and checked thoroughly before the program starts later in the year. Those chosen will be contacted to make the arrangements.

Although this is a work-study offering, if we don't get enough qualified applicants with available work-study time, it will be opened to the general student body with special compensation. So do not be afraid to apply, even if you don't have any work-study. Each year there are usually up to half of the student assistants not being part of the work-study program.

Posted on: 2015/12/13 15:41

Re: College Prep Assistance
Potential Student
I did this last year and it turned out to be a lot harder work than I expected for a teaching assistant gig. If you choose to apply, understand that you will be be through a very rigorous time as they make you demonstrate everything and allow the students to get some hands-on experience with you.

That's the main reason they want to many assistants. They would burn them out if they only had a couple. And once all the students get involved, you need a lot more help to make sure they all get the one-on-one help they deserve.

I don't regret doing it, and it was great for all those students that then came to campus the next year, but I wouldn't do it again if asked.

Posted on: 2015/12/14 21:59

Freshman Chatter
From Harlow Dorms, Room B-417
Is job needing heavy speaking? My English not so good, but need job. I have work-study time to use and need work. If no need to speak much I can do lots of help. I will work however you want. Just tell me what to do and I do it. Will that work? Can I apply?

Posted on: 2015/12/15 18:30

Freshman Chatter
I'm one of the lead instructors in this years home room college prep classes. It's nice to be able to help out, even though I don't have the training needed to normally be an instructor. Having lived on campus for years now, I know a lot about what it takes to live here and get along.

All that being said, the three of us in charge of the class will be doing enough talking, so don't worry about not being able to talk that well. Our assistants will mostly be needed for demonstrations and examples, which are usually silent positions.

Just sign up, I'm sure we'll make it fun for you. Plus you get paid.

Posted on: 2015/12/16 14:39

Potential Student
From Harlow Dorms, Room C-101
What if I already have a work-study job, but want to be able to get some extra spending cash? I know you say it's open to non-WSers if there aren't enough, but what about those like me? Should I bother to apply?

Posted on: 2015/12/17 21:14

Member of the Faculty
From Albert Hall, Dean's Offices
Quote:

Amanda wrote:
What if I already have a work-study job, but want to be able to get some extra spending cash? I know you say it's open to non-WSers if there aren't enough, but what about those like me? Should I bother to apply?

If you are already out of hours and points on your current Work-Study schedule, you will simply be treated as if you didn't have any Work-Study at all. That just means you won't be on the short list of applicants, buy you will be on even ground with everyone else.

Since we rarely get enough Work-Study applicants and need to dip into the wider pool, you will have the same chance as everyone else. We don't discount or mark down because of other jobs, projects, or anything. If you have the time in your schedule and want to be involved, you can qualify the same as everyone else.

So come on down to the office and sign up. We want as many applicants as we can get.

Posted on: 2015/12/19 0:10

[Advanced Search]

The CUNT site is © 2008-2014 by Dragavan - For The Real Story Behind this place: Click Here